|Date Posted||October 31, 2019|
TSI provides trusted measurement, application guidance, and data analytics solutions that enable our customers to make informed decisions. For over 50 years our customers have relied on our products for a variety of critical applications, from environmental monitoring to occupational safety. Headquartered in the Twin Cities, we have sales offices throughout the world. We work closely with leading academic institutions and government agencies to insure the safety of people, the quality of manufactured goods, and the health of the environment.
We are seeking a Director of Software Engineering to manage a growing software development team, in support of TSI’s digital transformation strategy. The Director of Software Engineering works with the VP of Software and other senior managers to meet product development objectives. This role requires a demonstrated ability to lead people and manage projects to meet cost, schedule, performance, and quality objectives.
This role’s direct reports include software developers, QA specialists, scrum masters, and UX designers. The Director is responsible for driving team performance, optimizing development efficiency, and insuring product quality.
TSI produces market-leading test instruments and software solutions for a wide array of applications. Our software products run directly on our instruments, as well as companion mobile devices, desktop PCs, and SaaS-based services. This is an excellent career opportunity for a senior software manager to help drive an industry leader’s digital transformation.
- Works closely with Engineering and Product Managers to allocate development resources and track development progress.
- Responsible for attracting and retaining software development talent. Provides coaching and career development to direct reports.
- Emphasizes development efficiency, encouraging code reuse and third party libraries where appropriate.
- Reviews business plans, product requirements, verification/validation plans, and other key deliverables for development projects. Ensures that development teams incorporate extensive customer feedback throughout the entire design cycle.
- Advocates Agile methods to insure that the product truly meets customer needs.
- Works closely with hardware development leads to support the established phase gate process. Supports compliance audits as necessary.
- Communicates status of active development projects to company stakeholders.
- Helps triage critical field defects and allocates continuation engineering support where necessary.
- Leverages past experience and strong communication skills to collaborate closely with marketing, regulatory, quality, supply chain, and operations to meet ambitious project development timelines.
The Director of Software Engineering supervises software developers, QA specialists, UX designers, and scrum masters. The Director writes performance reviews and goals and objectives for all direct reports.
Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering or IT.
Master’s Degree, MBA, or PMI certification are desired.
3-5 years related experience in Agile software development management.
5-8 years of supervisor/management experience.
Familiarity with diverse software technology stacks.
- Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
Project /Practice Management
Creates and executes project work plans and revises as appropriate to meet changing needs and requirements.
Identifies resources needed and assigns individual responsibilities.
Minimizes technical risk on projects.
Leads tradeoff analysis discussions
Understands basic revenue models, P/L, and cost-to-completion projections and makes decisions accordingly.
Manages department budgets.
Assures project legal documents are completed and signed.